1.    Where is your office located?
700 County Avenue
Secaucus, New Jersey 07094

2.    Is the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program Waiting List open?
At the current time the Housing Choice Voucher program Waiting List is closed and will remain so until further notice.

3.    Does the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program provide emergency housing?
No. The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program operates on an application basis and there are specific federal regulations which determine when people can be given vouchers after they have applied. For information on emergency housing contact your local/county social services office.

4.    Who participates in the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program?
The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program assists low-income families/individuals who meet income and other eligibility requirements which include:

a.    Income

b.    Citizenship

c.    Criminal background clearance

d.    Be in Good Standing with current and past Housing Authorities, if applicable

5.    If I apply (or applied) for the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program, will my name automatically be placed on the Public Housing Waiting List?
No, an applicant must complete a separate application for Public Housing.

6.    What happens when my name comes up to the top of the list and funds are available?
A participant must be prepared to provide birth certificate, social security card and current proof of income for all household members.

7.    Can I rent from a relative?
A tenant cannot rent from a relative (parent, child, grandparent, sister or brother of any member of the family) unless the Secaucus Housing Authority has determined that approving lease of the unit would provide reasonable accommodation for a family member with disabilities.

8.    Does my unit have to be inspected?
Yes, all units must pass a Housing Quality Standards inspection in order to be occupied by a Housing Choice Voucher holder.

 9.    Can I move into my unit before it passes inspection?
Moving in prior to the unit passing inspection is strongly discouraged. The Secaucus Housing Authority is not responsible for subsidizing the rent prior to the unit passing inspection. If a tenant moves in prior to the inspection they are responsible for all rent up to the time the unit has passed inspection and an agreement has been signed between the Secaucus Housing Authority and the landlord. Talk with the Housing Coordinator before making any decision to move in.

10.  How long does it take for my unit to be scheduled for inspections?
Once the Request for Tenancy Approval (RFTA) package has been received by the Secaucus Housing Authority, an inspection will be scheduled and conducted within 5-15 business days.

11.  What are Housing Quality Standards (HQS) inspections?
Housing Quality Standards inspections ensure that units meet HUD’s standards for safe, sanitary and decent living conditions. HUD establishes the criteria for these inspections.

12.  Who pays the security deposit?
The tenant is responsible for the entire security deposit.

13.  How much may landlords charge for a security deposit?
Landlords are allowed to charge a security deposit of up to one month's rent.

14.  Who pays if the tenant causes damages to the unit?
The tenant is responsible for all tenant caused damages to the unit; this includes damages caused by the tenant’s visitors and/or guests.

15.  If my rent is more than the Housing Authority can approve, can I pay the difference?
No. Per HUD regulations, the landlord may not charge or accept any rental payment that is not authorized by the Secaucus Housing Authority.

16.  Can I move from my unit and still keep my voucher?
Yes, a tenant can move after the initial 12 month lease term, however the tenant must first contact the Housing Authority. The new unit will also have to pass inspection.

17.  I am a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher holder in another City/County and would like to relocate (port) to your agency. How do I transfer my voucher?
The Secaucus Housing Authority is currently administering all incoming portables. The process begins with a meeting with the caseworker in the initial Housing Authority program. That caseworker should forward the portability paperwork to:

Secaucus Housing Authority
Attn: Section 8

700 County Avenue
Secaucus, New Jersey 07094
(201) 867-2957 (Phone)
(201) 867-9113 (Fax)